You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to ALL who call to You.” Psalms 86:5
Some common Post Abortion Syndrome Symptoms (PAS) :
- Anger – at yourself and/or those involved in the abortion decision. Anxiety – ie. panic attacks, tension, difficulty concentrating, irritability, sleep disturbances, headaches.
- Anniversary Syndrome – increase in symptoms around the anniversary date of the abortion, due date, and conception date.
- Alcohol or drug abuse – used to dull the emotional pain or escape reality. Avoidance behaviors – avoiding pregnant friends, doctor appointments, infants, any situation that may trigger abortion related emotions.
- Depression – 76% of post-abortive women report depression as a common symptom. This includes feelings of hopelessness, despair, melancholy, isolation, uncontrollable crying, and suicide.
- Disruption in close relationships – an increasing inability to be intimate or close with friends or family.
- Emotional numbness – feeling like an emotion cripple.
Fear – of disclosure, intimacy, future pregnancies, failure, or success.
- Guilt – 92% of post abortive women report strong guilt feelings. Many feel the abortion decision violated their own moral code. They have a lot of self condemnation, believing they have committed the unpardonable sin. Deep regret and remorse are also present.
- Lack of trust – She has difficulty trusting anyone, especially those included in the abortion decision. But most of all, she can’t trust herself anymore.
- Nightmares & Flashbacks – trigger the symptoms all the more. They trigger a re-experience of the abortion experience.
- Pre-occupation with becoming pregnant again – 45% will become pregnant with in a year of the abortion. It’s called “Replacement Baby Syndrome” or “Atonement Baby”.
- Self Punishing Behaviors – such as excessive weight gain or loss, eating disorders, self mutilation, gravitating towards abusive relationships.
If you are reading this and see yourself on the list, don’t despair. There is help and
hope. My name is Beth, and I have had three abortions. I could identify with a lot of the symptoms listed. My life was divided in two…the part I shared with my family and friends, and the “behind the scenes” me. I masked my pain and guilt when I was around others, and especially on the anniversary dates. I struggled with guilt, shame and self hatred when I was alone. The PAS symptoms threatened to take over my life. I was tired of the fight and struggle.
A good friend of mine saw how much I was hurting and came along side me. She offered me loving support as I worked toward dealing with the painful emotions and embraced healing.I would like to offer this to you. I can share with you what steps I took to deal successfully with my PAS. Call me toll free 1-800-648-4357, or contact me via email. I care and I want to be here to help. I’m available to listen and help, please let me.